Languages Commissioner Appointment
The commissioner of the Northwest Territories, on the recommendation of the Legislative Assembly, appoints a Language Commissioner to exercise the powers and perform the duties set out in the NWT Official Languages Act, and holds office for terms of up to four years.
Role of the Languages Commissioner
The Languages Commissioner can investigate any allegation that the Official Languages Act has been violated.
The Official Languages Act applies to all institutions of the Legislative Assembly and GNWT departments, corporations, boards, agencies, and courts established by the authority of the Legislative Assembly. The Act does not apply to municipal governments or private businesses.
Following are some examples of government boards and agencies covered by the Official Languages Act:
- All departments of the GNWT
- Aurora College
- Boards of Education
- Labour Standards Board of the Northwest Territories
- Legal Services Board of the Northwest Territories
- Northwest Territories Health and Social Services Authority and regional Health and Social Services Offices
- NWT Water Board
- Workers’ Compensation Board
- Highway Transportation Board
- NWT Council on the Status of Women
- NWT Housing Corporation
- NWT Business Credit Corporation
- NWT Development Corporation
- NWT Power Corporation
- Science Institute of the NWT